Friday, September 24, 2010

Soup Bones

He he what do you have in YOUR freezer?  :-)

My young friend and I decided to do PE at a local park this morning and we were gone an awful long time.  Observing critters in their natural habitat gives way to Science, so PE became observation and science, too.  Fun, and we take advantage of the good weather this time of year. 

We came home a bit after lunch, hungry and thirsty so what to have for lunch?
Since she is GFLF it is difficult at times to make quick lunches so we're grazing right now on crackers and cheese that she can have, fruit and what have you in the fridge!

Poking around a bit in the freezer for something or other I came across a chicken carcass I had been too lazy to make soup from about a month ago.  Since last nights dinner was a lousy rotisserie chicken (my rotisserie decided to be a bit of a hag) I have some more bones and meat left over.

I'm pleased to have a pressure cooker to do up my soup stocks in.  Bless my mum, she was prepared and I managed to get a number of her cooking things when she passed on.  Some of the things I got were her canning kettle and two pressure cookers. On for canning and one for cooking.  She was a smart lady, my mum. 

Once the grazing is over, I'm throwing some water and some onion and the ends of a celery into the pot and tossing in the carcasses and leaving them for an hour or two.  I'll have to run up to the market for some carrots as we're out, but I have some wilty kale that can go in... rummaging around the fridge I find a cabbage but that will get sliced up and steamed in butter to go along side tonights soup.

I may try a gluten free bun to go alongside as well.   I love soups for dinner, my hubby likes them for lunch.  I'll have to make him a quick stir fry with leftover pork chops tonight.  As a side with the soup.  He'll like that.

Next Monday, I'll have to be much more organized as it will be crock pot dinner night for the next few weeks.  Every one has activities that take them away from their duties but there is no need to go for takeout if you have a crock pot! 

Off to make the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment