We had friends over on the weekend andI cooked barbequed chicken thighs that were marinated in olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. It was greek night, so my eldest child who likes to make a mess in my kitchen (it's a really small kitchen) made tziki, and greek salad. All I did for the entire meal was make the marinade, put the chicken in it, and rice. I made a big pot of rice in my enamelled cast iron pot. It turned out perfectly done, which is saying something. I do not have the gift of perfect rice. My husband does so it's usually his job. HE was at work until just before our friends came over so I made the rice. My dd however, could have made the rice, but she did enough. She even made a different Naan recipe to compare with Brians (and Brian's was better, just so you know). Dinner was terrific. And fun, too. It's always great to have company around the table.
One day last week, I cooked a lovely locally raised pork roast which was fabulous. Much better than any pork you can find in the grocery store. I used the leftovers in this recipe. It was really, really good. And the leftovers make for a terrific lunch for my hubby!
We have been blessed with the gift of Salmon too. Our friends brought a piece of smoked salmon for us, and my husband had brought home a huge couple of pieces of salmon from one of his co-workers the night before. I tell you, dinner plans will change if fresh fish comes home. I threw that filet on the barbeque with butter, lemon and dill and made rice, and peas. Simple and good! The smoked salmon was last night's dinner, along with the left over naan and greek salad and tzikiki. Tasty.
My friends made sure the smoked salmon was made with ingredients I could have, knowing wheat and certain food chemicals are out. I am truly blessed with good people in my life.
Would you believe, there is still greek salad in my fridge? Yep. I am going out this afternoon and will not be home over the dinner hour but there is enough salmon, salad and rice still to feed everyone tonight. Dear husband whom I love soo much suggested I make spaghetti sauce and he would cook some noodles when he gets home, but that would still leave tons of leftovers in my fridge and that won't do. I have many jars of pickles fermenting away in there, we're running out of room for more leftovers. Blessed with an abundance, for sure. So they will eat the food that is in the fridge and they will be happy. I will too. BTW, does anyone want some tzikiki, or salad? She made a LOT. :p
My eldest child is learning how to cook. I have another one behind her. My kitchen is really small. Can I learn to live with the chaos??
No comments:
Post a Comment