Flash forward and what did I make for dinner tonight? Yup. There were no chorus' of yuck from my peanut gallery, either. I'm very blessed to have kids that have figured out you either eat what Mom gives you or starve... :p (No, really, if they really don't want to eat it, they have to make themselves a sandwich, no easy feat these days!!)
My kids are great. They will eat anything and try anything once. They surprise themselves that they like it. It's awesome.
This week we have been working on a study of Explorer's from Great Britain and the book has recipes from around the world. Today we had Cheese Soup for lunch and a traditional Irish meal for dinner. I can't help but start waxing nostalgic with a meal like this. Even if I didn't like it as a kid!
It's well worth trying. We all enjoyed it, and have enough leftover for breakfast tomorrow morning, with the addition of a couple eggs.
Bubble and Squeak
3 large russet potatoes, chopped, skin on
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small head cabbage
few slices bacon
Cut potatos into chunks, leaving the skins on. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender and drain. Steam cabbage, cool and give a rough chop. I cut mine in half, then remove the tough core before slicing it lengthwise and then turning it crosswise.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet. When it's brown remove it from the skillet.
Add in your chopped onion and cook until transparent.
Add your cooked, chopped cabbage and potatoes. Fry up until nice and steamy, adding back the bacon (or ham if you like).
Serve it up with a couple of fried or poached eggs, a salad and you have a nice meal. And it's naturally, gluten free! :p

No comments:
Post a Comment