Monday, November 1, 2010

What I've been feeding my family

We have gone just over a week with no red meat.  I want to make that a full two weeks.  Why?  Well, why not?  Don't get me wrong, I love red meat.  I cook it often for my meat and potato loving man.
I just get really, really tired of eating meat.  All meat.  I spent a good portion of my life as a vegetarian and it's the way my body naturally prefers.  We all make compromises in life so don't knock me because I compromised.  It has nothing to do with animal rights.  I believe that God gave humans dominion over beasts so I don't have a problem eating them. 

So instead of hamburger, sausage, stew and chuck, what have I been giving my meat loving man to eat?

Well we have had halibut, scallops, salmon to name the fish.  Pork.  Chops, ribs (country style) and a roast.
Eggs in omelettes and just bacon and eggs.  It has been a lovely autumn, and the slow cookers have been out on the counters making the house smell lovely.  We've been eating soups and stews and ragouts. 

Honestly I am missing making bread.  I have my grain mill for sale and 40 pounds of wheat left.  Artisan Baking in 5 minutes a day for sale. 

We've made gluten free pancakes, and gluten free drop biscuits and scones but they're just not the same.

We even went out for mexican last week but sadly they use tamari in everything, and I was sick most of last week from the small amount of gluten I ate while ingesting a really tasty and great meal. 

All the reading and research I've done leads me to conclude that my body will react violently until it heals itself.  I sure hope that's true.  Meanwhile, my doctor doesn't agree that I have celiac, he gave me a test guaranteed to fail and has now sent me to an Internist.  I am praying this fellow will get it.  

I love fall and winter, I can make soups to my hearts content!  Tomorrow I'm doing just that. 

I have a chicken thawing out that will go into the slow cooker tomorrow and make a lovely dinner, and easy peasy soup stock.  Wait, no.  I will be making pot pie.  I know my husband.  That is what  he will want.

Is it so hard to cook to please your mate?  My fellow is working seven days a week right now, they're so busy and the boss is off hunting.   I work extra hard to have lots of his favorite foods available for him to take to lunch and when he comes home late, cold, often wet, and always tired. 

Love is compromise.  I can eat all the salads I want.  Feed him meat and potatos.

No comments:

Post a Comment