Monday, March 7, 2011

New Year new diagnoses, new lease on life

Hey out there!  Winter may finally be over! I have some primroses blooming, and my crocus's are up.  I can't believe it, we were covered in snow last week!!

So I have to go for more bloodtests just to see if there is a gliadin reaction but then we'll be resuming the gluten free lifestyle.  Everyone agreed that it was much better and we all felt better so that is a good start.

My new diagnosis, well after a year of testing and a final breakdown in my (new to me) doctor's office got me sent to an internist.  For 8 years I have had a down hill thing going on with my health.  It started with a diagnosis of post partum depression.  I wasn't depressed.  After six doctors who were somewhat rude because hey, depression is a mental issue so we're not going to listen to you, after 8 years of doing everything possible to improve my health, including becoming a fitness instructor, studying nutrition, going RAW,  and still no improvements,  after what looked like a heart attack to one of my doctors, the internist sent me for a truck load of tests... and now thank the Good Lord, all this could have been avoided many years ago.  Know what I got?   I have OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA.   I have had a month long trial with a CPAP machine,  and have since bought one.   Guess what I've been doing since?  I have joined a running clinic.  I have energy!  I'm training for a 10 k!  I don't have any hope of placing in the race but the point is that I feel well enough to do this.  I used to run, I used to run races!  I used to run 10k every day!  I am so thankful for my new doctor, that he was kind enough to really listen to me.  And I'm very thankful to the internist who listened and sent me for all kinds of tests.  I suffered with no energy, irritable, personality changes, mood swings and pure exhaustion for EIGHT UNNECESSARY YEARS.  Wow.

So this blog may evolve to be a fitness log, running blog and healthy recipes.  One nice thing about gluten free living though... if you stay away from the flours, the prepackaged and the fast food from the health food stores, what is left is the healthiest stuff out there.  Fruit, nuts, vegetables, meats... I think we can be creative and build some wonderful meals from these kind of things.  Like tonight's pot roast... mmmm. What can be better than Pot Roast?

What we did... braised a 5 pound blade roast in hot oil.  Sliced a whole yellow onion.  Allowed the onion to cook with the meat.  Then I took a beer (there are gluten free ones out there!) and added it, covered the pot and put in the oven for three hours.  Then the kids and I went for a training run when Dad came home so I told him to peel and chop some potatos and carrots to add to the pot.  When we came home, we ate.  YUM.  The meat fell apart. The vegetables were tender and tasty.  The gravy was spectacular.  It was so homey and comforting. 

We should have made a fabulous green salad with kale but we were hunngry.


Welcome to a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment