Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Thanksgiving

One of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving is.

I can think back over many years, gathering with my family as a child, all the cousins getting together.  How come one side of the family is always more relaxed and fun than the other side of the family?

Sorry, that was neither here nor there. 

Thanksgiving can easily be a gluten free holiday.

Turkey is gluten free, so are potatos and other vegetables.  It is when we add things to them to make them casseroles or give them sauces that we can go horribly wrong.

Over the last number of years I have simplified our Thanksgiving spread to be wholesome and natural, more to my liking than that of my mother's era. (Sorry Mom)

I still cook turkey and dressing, but we don't do the heavy side dishes, creamed vegetables and green bean casseroles.

Instead we have fresh vegetables along side the traditions.   Our guest leave the table feeling satisfied but not sick... Thank goodness!

The traditional menu

Roast Turkey, mashed potatos, bacon sauteed brussel sprouts, sweet potato casserole and spinach salad.

Yes, I make gravy.  Yes I make stuffing.  The casserole?  Healthy.  No added soups or sauces.

This year I made cornbread sausage stuffing and it was a hit.  I was concerned for the stuffing because it's my favorite part.  Next year, I'll make two loaves of Gluten free bread and go with that instead of the cornbread.  I bet it will be just as good!

Again, no pictures, just good food and a feeling of gratefulness for the family we had around the table...

recipes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment