Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chicken or Zuchinni Parmesan

MMmm.  Oh yes it was fabulous.  It was gone before I knew it and I got yellow zuchinni squash INTO my best friend and husband.  Chalk one up for me! 

Many of the dishes I'm used to cooking turn out to be easily converted to gluten free.  Corn flour is an excellent substitute for dredging meat, or vegetables.  Really, for most things you can get away without the breading!
Weight Watchers has many great recipes for things that do away with the usual breading and stuffing.   They are a great resource and I learned some handy things from them.  I recommend checking out any book at the library before committing to a purchase. 

Onto the zuchinni~ I used gluten free all purpose flour to dredge.  I also pounded some chicken filets flat and dredged them. 
This is really the easiest thing to do.  You get to take out some frustration on meat, that is always a good thing!  You might get a little messy but it all cleans up in the end and you have a really great meal that tastes like it took many hours, when really it only took a short while. 

1 large zuchinni
4 chicken filets
1 can organic tomato sauce
basil
garlic
onion
italian seasoning if you have
1/2 cup parmesan, divided
mozzarella slices
1 cup all purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten

Take the chicken and pound it flat between two pieces of plastic film.  I have a metal pounder now, but I have used wine bottles (full) or my rolling pin.
Have your dredge ready. (beaten eggs in one dish, seasoned flour, 1/4 cup cheese in the other)
Cut your zuchinni into 1/2 or slightly thinner, slices.
Place in egg, then into flour, shaking off excess, set aside, do all the zuchinni
Drag chicken through beaten eggs, then through flour.  Set aside
Do this until you have done all the chicken pieces.

Heat your frying pans to a good medium heat, you want it hot but not hot enough to burn butter right off the bat. 
Fry the zuchinni pieces and place them in a casserole dish.  Fry the chicken pieces and place them on top of the zuchinni or you can do this the other way around.

Mix your tomato sauce and the herbs, onion, and garlic.  Pour it over the zuchinni and chicken.  Cover with slices mozzarella and parmesan~ 1 slice on each portion.   Place in hot (350*) oven and bake for 40 minutes.

Serve with a great salad. 

I forgot to add the parmesan to the flour dredge and it was still really nice.  Oh and gobbled before a picture could have been taken . . . sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment